The Tao – Science – And Spirituality

Most symbols—particularly of religious context—don’t do much for me.

I wear an Ankh necklace, but I don’t care that the Ankh represents life and fertility.  I wear it because it’s a sentimentality—something I’ve had since 1989.  Most symbols are typically straightforward with their implied meaning but can drive violence in others toward others—simply because of their perceived meaning.  I find that behaviour quite silly.

I’m far more intrigued by a symbol I can stare at and contemplate for years. This is why I’m particularly intrigued by the YIN-YANG symbol of Taoism. yinyangThe scientist in me doesn’t subscribe to religious dogma or most (not all) mystical inferences of any belief system. I am intrigued by the philosophical nature of any belief system—particularly, one that can be matched with the scientific method and come out with facts versus superstition and inaccuracy.

Continue reading “The Tao – Science – And Spirituality”

Illustrating.. My First Special Interest

It’s a very exciting thing for me to share my illustrations with anyone.  While growing up, I gave probably hundreds of drawings to fellow classmates, random mall walkers, folks at coffee shops, etc.

I felt satisfaction knowing I was bringing some joy to others as a result.

It’s still a difficult decision for me to actually monetize it all by selling them online.  It’s funny (and, yes, I DO see the irony in this as well) that I’m publishing coloring books—see, I have NO appreciation for color apart from black, white, and grey (toss in chrome maybe).  It occurred to me, however, that if I despise color maybe others can do the coloring FOR me—hence coloring books.

Yesterday, I published the latest creation just in time for Halloween.  I do my most sales during this time of year because most of my work is a bit goth and macabre, anyway.

sampler
thumbs

Continue reading “Illustrating.. My First Special Interest”

Martial Arts Versus Autism Spectrum Disorder

Being involved in any kind of physical activity can be challenging in itself. A common symptom of ASD is a difficulty with coordination. Social interaction is another. Combine the two, and you have a hella’ time trying to engage in a physical activity such as a sport.

I took special interest in Martial Arts at a young age. What was a fascination for me also resulted in a “cure” for coordination issues. I learned balance, simultaneity, dexterity, control, speed, fluidity, technique, concept—all of these things are what helped me.

Having typed all of that, there are still numerous challenges for someone On The Spectrum who wants to pursue Martial Arts training.  It particularly revolves around instructor/coach-student communication. Someone like me has a noticeable processing delay when dealing with VERBAL instruction (or general spoken communication, period). I have to SEE something in order to understand it. Someone like me takes things literally—especially verbal instruction.

Continue reading “Martial Arts Versus Autism Spectrum Disorder”