My Momentary Fascination With Plants and Reactions to Stimuli

After spending time in a hot tub at home over the course of a few weeks, I started paying closer attention to the hanging plant that (was) just above the hot tub.

I noticed that its vines were spreading down the walls and into the tub.  There is nothing unusual about that—that’s what vines DO.

I did, however, notice that anytime the vines ends touched the hot water in the hot tub (I keep the water HOT—it’s a sensory thing, you see), a day or two later, they retracted away from the tub.

That was absolutely FASCINATING to me because plants aren’t supposed to have pain receptors the way humans do.  I took some pictures of this event, but I was unable to complete proving my hypothesis.  I wanted to research the theory that plants react to stimuli—particularly, a harmful one.  Come to find out, there is an entire science based around it.

Here are my photos:

If you zoom-in on the vine tip at the far left of each pic, that tip was in the water at one point—which was very HOT. In chronological order, you can see the vine retracting from the water source. This was over the span of eight days (the photos capture only 4 day snapshots, so the entire duration of this event exceeded eight days).

December 14
20161214_182315

December 15
20161215_180925

December 19
20161219_220227

December 22
20161222_200035

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *